We have a list of items that will assist you in identifying and collecting the information necessary to properly prepare your Income Tax returns.

For your Personal Tax return, Please gather the following if they apply to you:

__W-2 statements from employers reporting wage income and federal and state tax withheld

__1099-MISC statements reporting payments to independent contractors

__1099-INT statements from financial institutions showing interest income

__1099-DIV statements from financial institutions or companies showing dividend income

__1099-B statements from brokerage or mutual fund companies showing capital gains and losses as well as the acquisition cost of mutual fund shares or stock shares

__Form 1099-G postcard from the FTB showing the amount of any state tax refund received

__Form 1099-G showing unemployment compensation received

__Form 1099-R statements showing pension and retirement plan distributions and tax withheld

__Form SSA-1099 showing Social Security benefits received

__Form 1098 statements showing mortgage interest paid

__K-1 schedules showing Partnership and S corporation income

__Copies of rent checks showing rental property income, and records of expenses and repairs

__Self-employment expenses and any income not reported to you on a Form 1099

__Divorce or separation papers to substantiate alimony received or paid

__Summarized Totals of added Receipts for cash and non-cash charitable contributions

__Summarized Totals of added Receipts for medical expenses

__Summarized Totals of added Receipts, cancelled checks, or other substantiation of employee business expenses, investment expenses, education expenses (for qualified educators), child care costs, documented moving or job search expenses, professional dues, tax preparation expenses, fees paid for safety deposit boxes, and other miscellaneous deductions 

__Social Security numbers and birthdates for yourself, your spouse, and claimed dependents

__Records of estimated tax payments

__Records to substantiate the business use of your home, showing the percentage used as a home office if this applies

__Receipts for large purchases made during the year, which may include automobiles, appliances, or other big-ticket items

Please contact us if you have any questions or need further assistance. We welcome Drop-off, Mailed-in, or Electronically Transferred information (ask us for a 2 way verified document folder to safely email us your documents). If you would like to have a consult appointment, please call our office and our receptionist will assist with scheduling an appointment. (805) 495-4211


Steven Z. Freeman, CPA, and the staff at Freeman and Associates provides Business Services, Tax Planning, Entity Formation plus Maintenance, and Accounting Services and can assist you with these services.

If you have any questions on this matter, or to schedule an initial consultation, please contact us at (805) 495-4211 or

Speak Your Mind